Hit and Run Accidents
Drunk? Drugged? No insurance? Warrant for arrest?
Hit and Run - Why did the driver leave?
Hit and run collisions are on the rise in the United States. More than one hit-and-run crash happens somewhere in the U.S. every minute. The 2,049 fatalities that resulted from hit-and-run crashes in 2016 were the highest number ever recorded.
There are many reasons a person may flee after a motor vehicle collision:
- Use of alcohol
- Use of drugs
- Outstanding warrant for an arrest
- No motor vehicle insurance
Hit and Run Drivers are Considered Uninsured Motorists
A hit and run driver is an uninsured motorist. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may a claim for uninsured motorist benefits arising from the hit and run collision.
It is important to buy uninsured motorist coverage. Across the country, one in eight drivers do not have motor vehicle insurance coverage. In 2015, 13 percent of motorists, or about one in eight drivers, was uninsured, according to a 2017 study (latest data available) by the Insurance Research Council.
This is true for Colorado as well. 13% of people on the roads in Colorado do not have motor vehicle insurance.
Uninsured motorist coverage applies to hit and run collisions. If you do not have this coverage, you may not have a way to make a claim for the hit and run collision.
Things to Do when Involved in a Hit and Run Collision
- Get the license plate number. Obtaining just the license plate number may help find the hit and run driver. Division of Motor Vehicle records have information connected to the license plate including the owner's personal information and insurance information. The number itself could crack the case.
- Find as many witnesses as possible. Witness may have seen the driver's license plate or type of vehicle. This may lead to finding the person and determine whether that person has bodily injury insurance to cover your injuries. Write down their names, phone numbers, email addresses and home or work addresses.
- Ask the police about who called 911. 911 callers also may have information about the hit and run driver. 911 calls are recorded and transcribed.
- Talk to the police about leads. Ask the police about leads on the hit and run driver. Ask the police if they have any department of motor vehicle records on the hit and run driver. Keep following up with the police on the progress being made.
- Hire an attorney to determine your insurance coverage. Even though you may never find the driver, you may have car insurance to pay for your injuries and medical treatment like uninsured motorist coverage and medical payment coverage. It is important to have an attorney look at your insurance policy to determine what coverage you have. Each state has specific laws on what coverage an insurance company must offer you and the minimum limits of coverage. An overview of Colorado car insurance is provided by the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicle.
What are Clients say about Our Work
The reasons why I would highly recommend this law firm is that they have great staffs and knidly help us. I realized throughout my case, Mr. Lee has highly experienced. If you had a car accident and don't know where to get help or struggling with finding the law firm, come here to get help!
-S Seo Kim's Five Star Google Review
They were prompt and efficient in how they handled my case. They even took care of the small details of my case. I realized throughout my case Mr. Lee is highly experienced. The case manager handling my case was compassionate and knowledgeable. I highly recommend this law firm to others. Do not hesitate to contact this law firm. My despair turned into hope as the law firm led me to a hopeful direction.
-Jonathan J's Five Star Google Review
All I can say is GREAT, HARD WORKING, and will fight for what you deserve!!! LEE, MYERS, and OCONNELL are great to work with along with their friendly staff that are always there to listen and answer to your concerns and needs!!! I was referred a while back through relatives and what a GOOD call it was!!! THANK YOU LEE, MYERS and OCONNELL!!!
Yj Choi's Five Star Google Review
Hire us to Resolve Your Hit and Run Case
If you have been injured by a hit and run driver, it is important to consult with an attorney right away. Your attorney will help you determine whether insurance coverage applies to the collision and investigate the collision to find the at-fault driver if possible.
You can chat with us now, Lee Myers, & O’Connell, for a free consultation about your rights or call us.